"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hot enough for ya?

Frick! It was approximately 9 million degrees today. We went for breakfast, flaked out on the beach with three of Michael's sisters and their kids and and then hung around the pool (you're allowed alcohol as long as it's in a plastic cup -yay!) before heading up for an excellent dinner at Michael's mom's.
I had shaved ice. Yummy. Am currently drinking wine out of plastic cup. Yummy. Bonded with one of my nieces (she's one of my favourites, though I know I'm not supposed to have favorites). I think she and I get along because she's older than the boys but younger than the girls and I'm older than all the grandchildren, but younger than all the children: we're both "in between".
Anyways, not to wax poetic about thirteen year old girls what I always do, but she's a super great girl and I love her to death and if she didn't live in Ontario I'd be bugging the hell out of her all the time.
And in dramatic news, because I'm always retarded and dramatic: can't get this stupid marriage thing sussed. It's bothering me and that fact that it's bothering me is bothering me and I hate the whole fucking thing and it's this circular argument that I know that I'm better than, but I keep coming back to it. Like, I'm having a really great vacation so far but it's been eight years that I've been coming here and it's getting a bit weird (though likely only in my head) and I feel stupid. It's hard not to feel like the reason that someone isn't marrying you is because it's not simply the institutution, but that it's you as a person.
That's what wine is for!

No comments: