"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Friday, September 12, 2008

Fedexing things is hard/I'm dumb

The secretary has been off for three days and I was really hoping that she would be in today because I needed to FedEx something. I can do most things on my own (I’ve learned to scan and can successfully transfer 30% of phone calls), but there’s something about me and FedEx.
I’ve never FedExed, actually. I’ve been able to avoid it quite adeptly for 13 years. It scares me. There are so many variables. What envelope am I supposed to use? What service do I want? What do “express” and “priority” mean? They both seem urgent. How many days does it take? Do weekends count? Will they try and deliver it on Saturday?
So I went to the FedEx place and it quickly became evident that it as a miracle that I had managed to feed and clothe myself for so many years. They showed me how to affix stickers and waybills and to put it in the bin for 4pm. Why 4pm? It’s a mystery. If our UK and Toronto offices get their respective packages on Monday it’ll be a huge accomplishment for me.
Right.
Just another day in the life.

No comments: