"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bitching

This whole bracelet switching/non-complaining scenario isn't faring so well. I've been trying it for about a week, and am failing miserably. One of my coworkers said that he would like me less if I was always positive. He said, "Come on, we have the most fun when we're ripping people apart". He's kind of right. Venting is complaining, and venting can make you feel better. Now I'm questioning the validity of the bracelet. Will I still be who I am if I never say bad things? Or would I just be a more bland version of myself? What happens if I really hate a book in my book club: do I have to remain mute? And I guess I'll have to refer to the gentleman that rear-ended me as something other than "that stupid asshole" and "douchebag". I would have to call him vehicularly challenged.
Yeah.... should I give up and give in the dark, criticizing, cutting and sarcastic side? I mean, it's a really big part of who I am. I started hugging people recently - isn't that good enough?

No comments: