"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Friday, February 29, 2008

Letter to Gordon Campbell

February 29th, 2008

Dear Gordon Campbell,

Last night I attended a public meeting on the Upper Pitt River Project proposed by Run of River Power Inc. Margaret Mead’s quote “A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has” rang true as I witnessed the enthusiasm, dedication, and passion of the people there – a fervor that could not be contained in the meeting room provided for the forum. In fact, the meeting was adjourned when the fire department and the police arrived, citing overcapacity concerns.

I came away from this meeting buoyed that it will reconvene in a more suitable venue in the future, and by the perseverance of the attendees. I was, however, disheartened to learn that our attempts, our speeches, our rallying was essentially futile given Bill 30, which removes the rights of local governments to use their zoning powers to protect the interests of their constituents. Bill 30 also does away with the public review process: Run of the River’s meeting last night was little more than lip service.

As a Canadian citizen I have always prided myself on our country’s democratic process. I was astounded to learn how Bill 30 was slipped past public scrutiny by our government to help pave the way for private industry to dam public streams, and to make inroads into protected forests as they are attempting to do on the Upper Pitt River (Ledcor was successful in this endeavor at Ashlu Creek, even though the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District rejected their proposal twice).

Privatization has been linked to the downfall of Rome. Closer to home we have seen the privatization of the US medical system. We Canadians selected Tommy Douglas as the greatest Canadian for creating our public healthcare system. We would not wish to privatize our healthcare system, so why are we seeking to privatize BC Hydro?

I have emailed Run of River Power to ask what the public can do to stop this project. I have yet to receive a reply. I would like you, the Premier of our province to advise me and the general public what we can do to stop the privatization of our public streams, and the introduction of industry into our parks. I refuse to believe that I live in a country where the voice representing the majority of the public could be ignored in favor of a private corporation.

Duder
North Vancouver, BC

cc – Run of River Power
The Georgia Straight
The Vancouver Sun
North Shore News

No comments: