"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Friday, February 22, 2008

What time is it?

It's angry letter writing time! Here is a copy of the letter I will be sending to the government regarding the proposed Pitt River project. I have listed details of where to mail, email or fax your own letter if you wish to write one. Please note that the government considers each letter that it receives as though five hundred people have spoken.

February 22, 2008

To Whom It May Concern:

Re: Boundary Change Pinecone Burke


I am writing regarding the Upper Pitt hydro proposal from Northwest Cascade Power. I am vehemently opposed to this project. I am incredibly angered that my government has passed a bill (Bill C30) which would hinder the public’s ability to give feedback to the government regarding proposed changes and intrusions onto their (public) property, and instead direct public feedback to the private companies that have plunked down $5,000 to $10,000 for a license allowing them to dam rivers that are integral to the ecosystems they support, and the environment overall. I am embarrassed that my government has even deigned to consider changing the boundaries of a designated Class A park to accommodate a power line and the ensuing clear cutting that would result from it.
I have always prided myself in thinking that Canada was a democratic country, and that British Columbia was truly a “super, natural” province, but this debacle has opened my eyes. By insulating yourself from public feedback (or, more disgustingly, relying on private corporations with a vested interest in this project to advise the government of the public’s general consensus) you are losing touch with the people who own this land, and with your voters.
It’s 2008. We need to start thinking outside the box and to understand that treating the environment abysmally, and allowing industry into our public parks isn’t the answer: short term or long term. This proposal sets a very dangerous precedent, I am totally opposed to it, and it should be stopped.
This is an important issue for me and I will ensure that I encourage many people to attend the public hearings, to write letters and to hold their government accountable in the stewardship of our public parks and rivers.

Sincerely,

Duder


Comments from the public are being solicited until April 2 (midnight) on the proposed park boundary change. Please, stand up for our parks and say no to the proposed change in this park boundary. Stopping the transmission line could present a serious impediment to the entire project. Please submit your comments to PineconeBurke@gov.bc.ca or mail them to Boundary Change Pinecone Burke, c/o BC Parks, PO Box 9398, Stn. Prov. Govt., Victoria, BC, V8W 9M9 or fax to 1-250-387-5757.

1 comment:

Godinla said...

I'd stand with you if I could. They probably don't give a crap about what some guy south of the border has to say. Sweet hair though.

God