"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Eating my words... and chocolates, too!

So I'm watching "Factory Girl" and drinking some herbal tea after my 15k run tonight and the phone rings at 9:30. It's Michael and he's on his way up. He's being rather cryptic and he wants to drop by, but he doesn't seem upset so I wonder what's up. I answer the door, resplendent in much stretchy cotton, with no makeup and horrible hair. He has brought me my Valentine's Day gift of chocolate (in an actual heart-shaped box), as well as Sharkies and Power Gel (runner's food). He said he had been getting anxious with the logistics surround VDay since we would be at the clinic at 6:30 and what, was he going to bring the chocolates to the store? It was so funny. It was so totally unexpected. I know he doesn't buy into the Valentine's Day thing, but he knows that I get a bit dejected when I'm not lavished with attention (and yes: I know that's petulant and wrong). I always remember the scene from "Lost in Translation" when Bill Murray looks across the table at Scarlett Johanson and says, "Was their no one there to lavish you with attention?". That's me.
It worked out well because I had my present ready to go as well. I framed that picture that I did using Paint of the downtown skyline from North Van (it's posted somewhere on this blog). He really liked it and wanted a decent copy, so I put that together and then bought him some iron pills (a running thing, again). He was also happy and surprised. So we were all happy and surprised.
I guess it's all rather funny and ironic given my last blog, so perhaps I should amend my argument to say that Valentine's Day can also be for couples that don't really need it. I mean, this past weekend he installed shelving in my laundry "closet", replaced my doorknob, returned my car with a full tank of gas even though he drove it like 12 kilometres, and took me for coffee. I don't need chocolates or flowers to know that he loves me.
I'm still going to eat them though.
And I may be less hard on Valentine's Day next year.
But not likely.
Maybe I'll find another day to pick on. Like, what's up with Groundhog Day, anyways?

No comments: