"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Thursday, February 21, 2008

My fifteen seconds of (running) fame

Explain this: last week when I was pretty well rested I was struggling to complete an 8 minute mile. Tonight I ran a 7.07 mile (okay, so I couldn't reproduce it the following three times, but whatever) and I was tired and mildly hungover. I don't understand it, so I'm going to give props to my iron pills. When in doubt, take drugs. But my fifteen seconds of fame came when I ran with the fast group and I led the pack for a little while, after outpacing Michael. Then he made some comment about there being people in front of us and, because I couldn't see them per se, I replied (in short, rapid, wheezy gasps), "I'm going to pretend that there isn't". Yeah, there were some people out there running 6.30 miles. Perverts.
Bumped into the woman that I'm having dinner with tomorrow night. I'm really looking forward to it. What a great, social week it was for me! Dinner with Michael on Monday, an invigorating book club meeting on Wednesday, dinner with a fellow runner tomorrow night, Big D on Saturday night, my parents' on Sunday. I actually don't have a night off until next Wednesday. The best part is that I keep writing all this stuff down in my day planner in order to keep it all straight, and then I forget to actually refer to my day planner. Stupid!
In other news, I'm trying to stop complaining and being negative so I bought these bracelets which you're supposed to wear on one wrist and every time you complain, whine, gossip you have to switch the bracelet to another wrist. The goal is to go 21 days without switching the bracelet because scientifically it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. I've tried it for three days now and I'm still switching back and forth. Given that today is a total write off anyways, I'm just going to hammer the final nail in the coffin and get some stuff of my chest:
- when you're on an escalator, you don't have to stop: you can actually keep moving as if they were honest to god stairs
- if you're out driving and you see a bunch of runners, slow the fuck down (yeah, asshole in the BMW, that was me giving you the "take it down a notch" gesture tonight)
- don't stand in the doorways of the bus: the doors are used when people disembark, and you're in the goddamned way
- quit smoking
Huh. I guess that's about all I've got. Wow, I've got it pretty good. To counter that, I will come up with four positive things:
- I was very impressed when my (male) coworker helped me unload the dishwasher at work this morning. It's the second time he has done this with me
- I love the people I run with (or run slightly behind). Their positive outlook on life and their fantastic sense of humour makes me want to be a better person
- I love the people in my book club. I felt very fortunate to be able to spend an evening with such interesting and diverse people last night
- I really appreciate the way the bus driver says "thank you" in the morning when I show him my bus pass. He doesn't need to say anything, but he always smiles at me and I say "good morning", show him the pass and he thanks me and gets me to the seabus on time
Alright. I think my karma's all in line now.
Tomorrow I will start anew to not complain, whine, criticize or gossip. Theoretically there shouldn't be much to complain about: it's Friday; I'm having a massage at 5pm; I'm going out for dinner at 7pm; I'm sleeping until NOON on Saturday; and I'm not working Monday.
Oh, and if anyone wants to take this non-complaining challenge, please let me know. I've seven bracelets left and one of them has your name on it. The downside is that you will no longer be able to say, "That Duder, what a royal pain in the ass!" without having to start anew.

No comments: