"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Monday, February 18, 2008

Making friends at 31

People say things when they've had a couple of drinks. I, in fact, have been known to say things that would be considered downright surprising in the cold, calculating light of day ("marry me", "come get me... no, I don't know where I am", "I will see you at 6am and show you how many tricep dips I can do", "I'm going to run a marathon"... you get the picture). So a couple of weeks ago when I was hanging out with the cool kids of the running clinic at the pub with Michael and I struck up a conversation with a really nice girl there and we exchanged numbers and she said she'd call and we'd go for drinks I didn't think too much of it. But tonight she called (I had my phone off because I was entertaining) and she did indeed want to grab a beer or a coffee or... even go for a run with me. And she extended the invite, if we were interested, to make it a couples event as her boyfriend runs at the clinic as well. Wow! In the last five years I think I've made two friends: L, who I met on the job; and N, who I knew of, but until the last couple of years didn't know well. Making friends at 31 is hard. Everyone has their own clique. People have settled into their routines. They're not accepting new applications. I'm guilty of this as well: I'm a busy girl and I have a fantastic set of friends and I sometimes lament that I don't get to see them as often as I'd like. I set the bar quite high as far as friendships go, so that's why I'm pretty excited to have met someone that seems so interesting, that lives a three minute drive from me, that I seem to have a lot in common with. And Michael runs with her boyfriend: that's who was asking for details on our relationship status on Sunday. Weird, eh? At any rate, all in all pretty exciting. It would be super terrific to have a friend on this side of the water. It would be really super double monkey luck happiness if Michael could find a kindred spirit as well... someone to whom he could confide such things as: "my girlfriend proposes marriage via text when she's drunk, and I'm not sure how to deal with that" and "can you go over there and work on her apartment, cause I'm sick of it", not to mention "she buys frozen lasagnas from Extra Foods and considers that 'cooking'".
In other news, the frozen lasagna went over well and Michael needs to install some weatherstripping to my door to block out some of the hallway noise. Ha ha. See how I kid?
"I love my life!" - random North Shore runner

No comments: