"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Thursday, February 28, 2008

I was secretly hoping to smoke some pot

Alright. Got another "street cred" badge and hopped a chartered bus after work to go protest the proposed power project for the Pitt Valley. It's a long story and I'm tired, so I'll just ramble out some interesting tidbits. The meetings that were held to establish this park back in the day were held in Vancouver and Coquitlam. The meetings that Run of the River (the corporation that wants to put a power plant in) have held have been in Squamish, Pitt Meadows and Mission. Yeah, really central locations. They gave us sandwiches on the bus. The meeting was held in a room that was totally insufficient to fit all the people (I think it was pegged at about 400) and the fire department was called. The police came. Apparently people were told they would be arrested if they didn't clear out and get to within the capacity guidelines. I couldn't see shit. People like to yell a lot. The media was there. The meeting was adjourned early and it is (supposed) to be reconvened in the future, in a more suitable venue. The whole thing seemed pointless because Bill C30 basically takes away the public's democratic rights to speak and vote: our public input is meaningless. I think we should be focusing on repealing Bill C30. Failing that, I'm all for blowing shit up when they try and set up camp in the Pitt Valley. I didn't get arrested. No one was smoking pot. I met a cute boy. He invited me to a public discussion on legalizing prostitution. I guess that's how come-ons work in the NPO, environmentally savvy, groovy, grass roots world. I bet our first date would involve organic tea and picking up litter at a nearby park. I kid. Mostly. Caught the seabus by two minutes (hey, it was a major feat: I would've had to wait half an hour for the next one!).
I think I wanted immediate gratification from this meeting. I wanted it to be black and white. I wanted it to be clear cut and I wanted there to be a visible process that the public could work through to legitimately stop the privatization of hydro and the introduction of industry into our public lands. My organic tea drinking, litter picking future lover said he used to be preachy and full of piss and vinegar when he was younger as well (I bet he's 28 right now), so he could likely sense my disillusionment with the whole thing. I suppose the point of it is that you have to go back and go back and go back some more and keep on meeting them with opposition, because when you start to flail and lag, that's when they win. I will go back. The sandwiches were pretty good.
I guess I'll bring my own goddamn pot.

No comments: