"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Monday, February 4, 2008

Wine club?

So N said she had a good time at the wine tasting, and should we try it again next month. Yes! Perhaps with less wine the next time. I thought it was pretty interesting that of the eight that I tried that night, I would only buy two of them.
Finished "The Catcher in the Rye". Man. Wow. I was talking to Michael about it tonight and we both had read it in highschool but we couldn't remember anything about it. Having just re-read it I don't think that any highschool kid would be intellectually ready to handle such a book. I mean, I was too busy worried about how my ass looked in a particular pair of jeans, and if I should perm my hair again to worry about some depressed, sensitive guy struggling to find the good in day to day life. But at thirty-one? I get it. Though I'm still contemplating a perm...
Going to the annual address put on by the company that "manages my portfolio". I use the term loosely because my portfolio is ridiculously small, but it's something Michael and I do every year. I pretty much just sit there and start to fidget a lot after twenty minutes and loudly whisper "Do you think he's going commando?" when the whole thing kicks off with some bag piper toodling around. I search for glaring errors in the power point presentations. I lean over to the well-heeled couple next to me and ask if they want to join me outside to spark a jay. I tell them I didn't graduate highschool and that I'm pregnant, but I don't know whose baby it is. I think every meeting should be heralded by a bag piper (pipist?), and should finish with free wine and appetizers.
Maybe I'll actually stay for a drink this year. It's just that who the hell are you going to talk to? It's a great opportunity to make shit up, though. I'm going to introduce Michael as Thurston Trickle III and I'm going to be a doctor. Dr. Duder. I'm going to strongly encourage them to invest in potash and pork belly futures.

No comments: