"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Monday, August 13, 2007

Oh! Sex is the answer to everything!

Ironically I did leave at 2pm. I was feeling pretty out of it for most of the day and I'm assuming this is attributable to some delayed reaction to yesterday's run. I must not have looked well when I asked the CFO if I could head home early because he wanted to call me a cab. Swell. Was in bed by 3:10 and slept til 5pm. Lay on the couch a lot and then ate a substantial amount of food. My best guess is that I didn't hydrate enough on Friday and Saturday. The beer and two glasses of wine after the run on Sunday probably didn't help matters. Lesson learned for next time. I'm feeling better now though. Please don't tell my mom, she'll make me drop out of the clinic...
Watched "Dinner with Friends". I was kind of hoping for some edgy, introspective and illuminating insight into the lives of people in the throes of long term marriages. Do you stick it out for the kids? What do you do when the passion wanes? Do you forgive someone if they cheat on you? What is cheating? Instead it was pretty trite. The Greg Kinnear character has an affair while still married to Toni Collette. Oh, but they have angry sex. You know what? I've been angry, I've yelled and screamed and clenched my fists in frustration and it never ended in angry sex. Angry sex is something that Hollywood created. I've had angry sleeping on the couch, and angry door slamming as someone leaves to go for a walk. And then the other couple (Dennis Quaid and Andy MacDowell) get all freaked out that their friends are divorcing and at the end, as they are sitting in their summer house in Martha's Vineyard (having driven up with their two boys in their Volvo), and he's in his late forties and undressing for bed looking like some kind of amazing athlete and she's looking like, um, a model because she is one and they're trying to figure out how to keep themselves from "getting lost" or whatever the vernacular was, and the sound of waves lapping against the beach is mingling with the chirping of crickets and wafting through the window they start to make love. That's how you don't "get lost". So sex is clearly the answer to everything. It really gives a whole new meaning to the term "fuck it".
In other funny news, I had conversation with a coworker about horses today. He indicated that they were very large animals. I concurred. He felt that riding them was akin to cruel and unusual punishment and didn't think it fair to our equine counterparts. I can't say I necessarily disagree. He said, "I mean, I wouldn't want to be ridden". And we just looked at each other for a moment. I should recommend this movie to him. I mean, fuck it, right?

No comments: