"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Sleeping is nice

I went to bed at 11pm last night and got up at 10am today. Ees nice. Got in a quick 6k and then Big D dropped over for some tea. We had all sorts of meaningful discussions. And we had fig newtons. I got two hugs. Yep, I think my friends like the new, huggy Duder. Then Michael dropped by and we all lounged around on my new, swank furniture while listening to my new, swank music. I think I may start wandering around my apartment in a burgundy velour smoking jacket, replete with pipe.
Michael and I went for Thai food and it was entertaining, as always, to see his face slowly redden as his taste buds discover that we have ordered the dishes with one red pepper symbol too many.
After a nice, low key, mellow day it was a bit of a shock to go downtown to drop him off at the seabus. Gangs of young men strutted about, people trolled in their cars, girls tottered down the street, precariously balanced on stiletto heels. It wasn't a good vibe. It was a fake, aggressive, urgent vibe. I can't knock it: I've done it. And in ten years when I have to venture downtown on a Saturday night I will see the same people, doing the same things. It's just weird. I guess it's a sign of the times: namely that I'm getting older. My Saturday night will be coming to an end soon. The hardest beverage I've had today was coffee and I have to go to bed shortly to get up at 7:30 so I can run 29k. Again. Apparently I learned nothing after the last run.
I think I'd like to start having dinner parties. That's something that people in their thirties do. Want to come to a dinner party? I'll start planning it. Right after my nap tomorrow.

No comments: