"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Sunday, August 19, 2007

What's 0.3 miles between friends?

It would've been so easy to go back to bed at 7:30 this morning. I actually slept until my alarm went off, looked outside and it was grey and a bit wet. Decided to grin and bear it and grinded through what was supposed to be 18 miles today. We ended up doing 17.7 miles, but you know what? Whatever. I more than made it up last weekend when we ran an extra three kilometres. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was only an extra three kilometres: but tell me how much you want to run another fifteen minutes after you've run 29 kilometres. You really don't want to. No, you really want to go home and find some cabana boy named Miguel to rub those hammies for you.
Got home around noonish. Here's a good tip: don't grocery shop after running 29k. I bought every carbohydrate product that IGA had to offer. Drank a lot of water. Had some tea. Finished "The Accidental Tourist" which I highly recommend. A coworker said he had seen the movie and it was boring. I can see how that would be so. It's mostly a case study about a marriage gone bad after the death of a couple's son, and I don't think that would translate well in Hollywood, but the book was very, very good. A nice change of pace from "A Clockwork Orange".
Went over to see Typewriter. He had the exact same hummus that I had bought from IGA earlier in the day. Great minds think alike. He also had this other thing that was really good and unpronounceable (can you email me the name of that thing, it was SO good). We watched Donnie Darko which was awesome. I can't believe I hadn't seen it: it was one of the best movies I have seen in ages. And I didn't have to move for 90 minutes which made the whole experience extra lovely.
Yes. So now I am going to go to bed. Or possibly partake of a little herbage coupled with some Groove Salad while I reflect on how frickin' awesome my life is. Yeah. I'm blessed. I admit it. And now I shall leave you with a memorable quote from Donnie Darko:
[Donnie tries to kiss Gretchen and she pulls away]
Donnie: Well I-I, sorry I...
Gretchen: Donnie wait...
Donnie: I like you a lot...
Gretchen: I just want it to be... at a time when... it...
Donnie: When what?
Gretchen: When it reminds me just...
Donnie: When it reminds you of how beautiful the world can be?
Gretchen: Yeah... [turns her head]
Gretchen:... and right now there's some fat guy over there staring at us.

No comments: