"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Monday, April 28, 2008

Clearly I'm still not done.

Conversed with the robot liberator as to who gets what and why, and the answer is: good looking people. Good looking people become successful because they're good looking and society values them more. Then they seek other good looking people to surround themselves with, marry and breed with.
My mother is trying to find an apartment in Kits and she said the one that she viewed today was lined up into the lobby just for a viewing and that everyone was good looking and no one was going to select her as a tenant. It's true. I don't know what to tell her and she knows this to be the case, so what more remains to be said?
Though, if you're rich, you don't have to be good looking, I suppose. So the pecking order is: the wealthy; followed by the good looking; followed by the rest of us. That's why it's hard to get a date: because I don't have enough money and I'm odd looking.
Anyways. I'm not actually lamenting (I swear - I'm actually in a good mood). I had a funny experience today at work, going through the HR run down with a new employee visiting from our Toronto office. She's (in my opinion) quite ridiculously good looking. When I was running to catch the seabus I passed her and her boss: he was holding an umbrella for her so she didn't get wet. In the past I have held my umbrella out so that my male coworkers didn't get wet. No one is laying their jacket over a puddle for me to step on as I climb out of a cab. Could be because of my penchant for Clarks versus stilettos. During our meeting I could actually sense her scrutinizing me and I bet after two glasses of wine she'd confess that if I just dolled myself up a bit I could pass muster.
My point is this: I love all the people that I know that get this and just sort of let it roll off with some bemused smile. It's pointless to rail against it, so it's best just to find the humor in it. You know, I think I've had too much Neo Citran.
And this isn't to say that everyone wants to date the really good looking people. I don't. I like people that are interesting and make me laugh and I've pointed out my various ideals of attractiveness to some friends and they've looked at me quizically.
So the theory would hold, then, that I might be the ideal for certain people and so when you find these people, that you find attractive (physically and otherwise) and they find you attractive also, you should advise them against lasik eye surgery.
Or else keep playing the lottery.

No comments: