"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Ergh.

I think I would like to no longer work and to try and understand reality a bit more. Vedanta seems promising. I should meditate. I think marijuana is also adventageous. What is coincidence and what is not? How much is preordained? Why do humans use such a small percentage of their brains? Is reincarnation a possibility? It makes no less sense than the concept of a person who is killed and then rises from the dead three days later. What is knowledge? What kind of knowledge are we supposed to seek? It just really seems like it's not something that can be done while working 8.30 to 4 and drinking non-fat hazelnut lattes. I'm missing something here. I think we need to question everything. Like, everything that we think that we know. How did we arrive at these particular conclusions? We need more original thought. Because we are told that something is the way it is doesn't mean that that's correct. One thing may be many things to many people. In the pursuit of... whatever it is that we're pursuing, what happens to the problems of humanity? How do they get solved? Spirituality is a high level need and I don't understand how to reconcile that with the fact that the guy that sometimes holds the door open for me when I'm heading for the seabus has open sores on his face.
What am I supposed to do?

No comments: