"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Saturday, April 19, 2008

I went


And now I am back.
Oh, I forgot to tell you some odd things that happened to me.
Yesterday, when I was heading over to Moose's for farewell drinks with a coworker a homeless guy asked me for change. I have given this fellow a lot of change over the past couple of years: he usually hangs around outside the Tim Horton's at Pacific Centre. He typically says, "God bless you" when I give him something. Anyways, I bumped into him near the pub and he simply would not take no for answer and he became rather aggressive. And then he said to me, "Maybe God will rebuke you one day". Yes, I guess that's a possibility, and I may have to take that into consideration.
Later, at the pub, one of the tech team said that it was unfortunate that I wasn't having children, because they would be very good looking. I was on my second or third glass of wine and I stared at her dumbly: how did she know what my children would look like? And more importantly, what was she talking about? Then she explained that she thought that I was very pretty, hence the kids would be good looking. Ah. So I was incredibly flattered, and am also happy that my company hires people who are visually impaired.
When I got on the elevator today there was this really cute little kid that demanded to know my name so I told him. He was very chatty. He had a piece of paper and a pen and pretended to spell out my name (which adults can't even do correctly) letter by letter while also pretending to write it down. All the letters that he called out as he transcribed my name sounded like a mixture between "m" and "r" (neither of which are actually in my name). And when I glanced at his pad it looked like it was covered in the musings of a 106 year old man who was trying to write with his left hand while on a trampoline.
Then he told me his name. I think it's spelled with an "m"... maybe an "r"....

No comments: