"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Our august years

There is a new guy working in the coffee shop downstairs. I’d say he’s in his fifties. The shirt that he was wearing was reminiscent of the kind my dad has: plain, thick, durable and basic. He took a while to ring in my order and when he handed me my change it was with hands that were more accustomed to carpentry than to serving coquettishly ordered drinks to diminutive young women trying to affect some level of professionalism. He apologized for the delay and said it was his first day.
Stuff like that drives me nuts.

No comments: