"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Sunday, July 6, 2008

I copped out (only did 30k today)

Slept in a little bit (up at 8:15am) given that I've had a cold for a few days now. I wasn't able to get in the fifteen miles, but I did run nine miles this morning before coming home, jumping in the shower and running over to Extra Foods to get some lunch for the hike with Jay (also nine miles).
Yep. To say that I'm knackered would be a bit of an understatement. I can't even think very straight right now. Michael came over around noon to drop off my car and to tell me about his 16k race up Grouse Mountain (he did in one hour and forty something minutes). He was muddy and smelled bad. I think he had a good time and wants me to do it next year. We'll see. He actually arrived at the same time that my brother pulled up on his Kawasaki, so that was pretty funny. I'm glad they got to see each other given that we met up with Jay so infrequently. So the three of us had a nice chat, dropped Michael off and then Jay and I went on our hike.
It was so awesome to catch up with my 'little' brother. We always have great conversations - we were chatting away the entire four plus hours that we were out there. He's such a great guy. I'm so glad I don't have a brother I don't or can't relate to. I'm touched that he made the effort to come all the way in from Abbotsford, which is about an hour away, and I'll make sure I make it out his way in the very near future. Like Michael says, I've only got one brother. I was very happy to spend an afternoon with him outdoors doing something that we both really enjoy.
Came back and he left, then Michael and I went for dinner and talked about our respective adventures. I realized that, though I was wearing a skirt, I hadn't managed to get all the mud off my legs and I had some nice scratches on my calf. Hot. You know what? You run fifteen kilometres at 9am, then hike another fifteen kilometres in the afternoon and tell me if you give a shit about anything except a decent meal and a good sleep.
On that happy note, I am going to goddamn bed because I'm tired, though happy to once again not have been attacked by bears.
Bears and sharks are scary.

No comments: