"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Watching movies. Er, reading books, I mean.

I just watched "Vanity Fair". I'm about halfway done the book and, though it's a bit hard to follow, I'm greatly enjoying the trials and travels of Becky Sharp. I do recommend the movie too, though one does get more of the subtleties and nuances from the written word.
Here is the question: do I finish the book? I know how it all ends, so nothing will come as any sort of surprise. Ah, of course I will finish it: it's a good read.
Started Dune a couple of days ago for book club. I realize I've read the book before. And I think that a movie was made of it...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Trust me on this one honey - skip the Dune movie - if you have indeed started the book you will have noticed that much of form is Paul's internal life, and much of the context is provide by the chapter headings qouted from histories - plus blue on blue eyes are impossible to read.
Besides which I read your blog, so you are now busted on the watching film stead of reading book thing!