"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Dieting sucks (so I'm not doing a very good job of it)

Michael ran the HBC 10k this morning and placed 39th OVERALL. There were over 800 runners at the event and he finished with 42:19. He placed 4th in his age group: one spot away from getting a medal!! I am so excited and proud of him. I slept in until 11am. When he came over this afternoon he kept pressuring me to look up his time and finally I said, "You've already looked up your time, why do I have to?" and he kept cajoling me so I called up the results and started to do the old "find on page" and he was like, "You don't need to do that, just scroll down a little bit". It's a huge accomplishment and I better attend any other 10k races he chooses to run because I think it's a matter of time before he gets in the top three.
Then we went for a walk and for some lunch, after which we got McFlurries. Nothing says diet like a McFlurry (mine, a small, clocked in at 520 calories and 17 grams of fat). In my defense I did work out for close to an hour and a half today.
Anyways. I haven't run a 10k for eons and I was always looking for a sub-fifty minute race and I never got it. Since then, running half and full marathons I have seen my time at the 10k mark and it has always been sub-fifty, but it's not official and I want to get that puppy in writing. So. I am going to run the Summerfast 10k on July 19th and try and get a sub-fifty minute race recorded. And it's on a Saturday so I don't have to give up my Sunday run with the clinic. Which means that I'll have to be at Stanley Park at 8am on Saturday and at the clinic at 8am the next day. Which is great because I love to get up early.
Thanks to Michael for inspiring me to run another 10k to get another personal best. And congratulations to him for such an amazing accomplishment today!

No comments: