"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The winds of change...

... and other aptly named blog titles to reference the weather. They're calling for thundershowers tonight. The sky is currently ominously obsidian. Weird. It was 27 degrees when I walked up Lonsdale today. Why did I walk up Lonsdale in 27 degree weather, you ask? Because I didn't magically lose 4.5 pounds as I had anticipated this morning. Being in my thirties is a bit different than being in my twenties. Oh shit: I just depressed myself because I'm in my thirties.
Watched "Living Out Loud" tonight. I won't recommend this movie because the delivery was botched and Siskel and Ebert were wrong to have given it two thumbs up, but I will say that it was a refreshingly atypical story showcasing a lot of human flaws and realities and for that I greatly enjoyed it. It had a good moral. And though it was rather badly done, it still rocks on most of the shit that's currently out there.
The other thing that happened to me that was really exciting and will keep me going for days is that I had a great Seinfeld moment on the bus today. I guess people are re-committing to public transit with the glorious new carbon tax (good: I hope it hits $2 a litre!) so I couldn't get a seat today and kept ramming people with my purse (I love my purse: it can fit an umbrella; a bottle of wine; a book; my cell phone; my Shuffle; wallet; makeup; and sunglasses... so basically you have all your bases covered all the time) and a seat came up and I offered it to a woman roughly my age and she said, "No, you go ahead" and so I said, "Okay" and took it. Normally I would have insisted, but I really wanted to read "A Brave New World" some more. So I did.
Aren't I a motherfucker?

No comments: