"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Beating the dead horse of happiness

Quite evidently I am still on the subject and have been able to boil it down further. Here are my final thoughts on this:
I am thankful for all that I have, and very grateful. I am also aware of how tenuous and precious everything is and I harbour a lot of fear that these things can be taken from me. I sometimes feel like I am tempting fate by being exuberantly happy, so I don't do it a lot, which is stupid. If you're not going to be exuberantly happy today, when the hell are you going to do it? It segues in nicely to my alter-ego's entry: http://breakthehabitsofliving.blogspot.com/2008/03/yowsa.html
So I will try for more exuberance. Just not today. I'm really goddamn tired today.

No comments: