"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A perfect day for not working

I don't have anything important to say. This is a regular occurrence for me. I think that, when I go in to work tomorrow, I will just walk around saying, "whaa whaa, whaa whaa whaa", just like the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoons. I don't think anyone will notice.
Today a Whirlpool guy came to look at my fridge which exhibits what I like to call a "death rattle" before it shuts off. I call him 'a Whirlpool guy' because I never got his name. He was very kind and friendly and punctual and helpful and addressed me by my name, and I never even thought to ask his. Sometimes my lack of social graces stupefies me. It doesn't stupefy me immediately, because if it did then I would know that this man's name was Carl Goldblum or maybe Joel Steinbeck or something. No, the stupefaction factor comes later and leads me to wonder how I function on a day to day basis.
I re-did my taxes and no longer owe almost $900, which is pleasing. I owe $1.53. The forty-seven cent differential between $1.53 and two dollars (versus $1.53 and $1.06) is important, because the CRA will let your bill slide if it's under two dollars. As a quid pro quo, they do not have to pay you if they owe you less than two dollars. I may take this $900 economic (as opposed to financial, or cash based) windfall and put it towards a new laptop.
As you can see, this blog has been the epitome of unimportance. I could go on. I could tell you about the book that I tried to buy that wasn't there. Or about how I fixed my wireless network. It's all the same - oh! there's the death rattle again.
But just because I don't have anything important to say doesn't mean that I have nothing important to recommend. I would like to recommend J.D. Salinger's "A Perfect Day for Bananafish". http://www.freeweb.hu/tchl/salinger/perfectday.html

No comments: