"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Friday, March 14, 2008

Wineing about taxes

I think I'd like to get nicely buzzed tonight. Enjoy a few glasses of... something. Listen to music. Have good conversation. Contemplate a lot.
But instead I'll likely end up doing my taxes. Maybe I'll do them while I'm drunk. I'll just put random numbers in random boxes and attach notes (like financial statement notes).
"Revenue Canada: as you can see, you clearly owe me $20,726.64. Please remit to me on or before April 30th or you will be subject to fines and penalties.
This figure was arrived at by exempting a certain portion of my salary from taxation in proportion to what I feel are non-necessary expenditures. I didn't want Canada to go into Iraq, so I'm not going to pay that bit that relates to the military. I think that you owe me money for all the licenses that were granted to private corporations who will be damming public streams. I don't have kids, so I want some money back for educational costs and costs of playgrounds - but you can give that money to the CBC and to the arts, cause that interests me. I refuse to pay for anything related to Adrienne Clarkson. Also, all expenditures incurred sending any members of parliament to visit with Bush or members of the White House should be struck off my bill.
Um. Y eah. So a bank draft would be great.
You rock,
Duder."

No comments: