"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Thursday, March 6, 2008

The little things

Okay. I got over the (minuscule) chips in my granite counter top. And the dings in my laminate flooring. But this new issue cannot be overcome by simply ignoring it. Unfortunately this newest thing needs to be fixed. It's a long story, I can't explain it well, but it involves my drawers (not my knickers). The two drawers - junk and cutlery - are scraping the the drawer below it. It's because the drawer system was meant to affixed to a wooden top, but because I have a granite counter top the middle section of the drawer couldn't be screwed to the underside of the counter top, so it's sagging.
Long story short, I drag Michael over after our run and I lay on the kitchen floor thrashing and sobbing and begging for help. We discussed viable options: I suggested setting fire to the apartment and collecting the insurance proceeds; he suggested a scenario involving contact cement. I'm not sure what contact cement is, but I bet it would be funny to apply to the toilet seat at work.
This is my half of the conversation before he left: "So you can fix this, right?". "So we can fix this on Sunday?". "Can you help me fix this?". "Can you help me fix this?". "You'll help me fix this, right?". I have home repair ADD. I can't overlook this, because every time I open the drawers they scratch the bottom drawer to ratshit.
Anyways, my blog isn't about that. At one point Michael made a comment that I didn't appreciate him. I assumed he was joking because I think I make it clear that I appreciate him, but then after he left I panicked: perhaps I don't do enough to show that I appreciate. I sent him an e-card once, did he want more? I often try and pay him with sex, but that's really more about my needs (which are oh so vast). Then I thought, what would I do if he wasn't around? It would probably cost me a mint to have some guy come in, overcharge me, and do a half ass job. I could probably do it, but it would take me six times as long and I would ultimately botch it. I rely on Michael a lot. I guess I should do more to show him that I appreciate him besides blogging about it on a blog that he never reads. I bought him a brownie after our run today. That's a step beyond an e-card, right? I should do something really extra-special for him, but what?
I got nothin'. I should search for another e-card...

No comments: