"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

ICBC

Deep breath. Alright. ICBC denied my claim, as it meets the criteria for a "Low Velocity Impact" (when this LVI program was created it was reviewed by the Ombudsman of Canada due to its unfairness). I did not swear or raise my voice. I asked open ended questions such as:

"My understanding of insurance is that its purpose is to put one back in the financial position that they were in prior to accident. How has my insurance done that?"

"I was at a complete stop and was hit from behind. It was entirely the other motorist's fault: why am I out of pocket for anything?"

I pointed out my exemplary driving record, the fact that I wasn't claiming for thousands: I just wanted my out of pocket expenses covered. I brought up ICBC's recent record profits and she said that ICBC tried to minimize its payouts. She then told me that the $57 that I will be out of pocket for all subsequent massage therapy trips are called "user fees" and that "user fees" are billed at the discretion of the RMT. I said, "Are you telling me that there are massage therapists out there that charge $23 an hour?". She said yes. I said, "Wow, that's really good to know. Could you please give me a list of them?". Sadly, she could not. I said that, in my humble opinion, one was either receiving a questionable massage for $23, or the RMT that was giving it was already extremely wealthy and was able to work for a pittance. I told her that I was very unhappy with the level of care that I had received from ICBC in their role as my insurance provider in this particular instance, and she said this would be "noted". That's good. I'm glad they're going to "note" it. The noting... it's a helpful, healing process that more people should subscribe to. The noting is good, because you're not committing to anything. You're noting it. It's been noted. Sometimes you can duly note something, which is not the same as dually noting - no one is noting it twice. But with "duly", well, let's admit it, it's just a helluva lot more impressive. I should call back to see if she noted it, or if it was duly noted.
I think they give $23 massages in the downtown East Side.
At least they have happy endings.
Or so it's been noted.

No comments: