"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Saturday, March 29, 2008

I think a lot of babies are going to be born nine months from today

It’s quarter after eight and I’m blogging on battery power, by candlelight. At first I didn’t notice anything when the hour began and, as usual, I was bummed to see that some people still had their lights on. I started playing Sudoku (because what the hell else do you do on a Saturday night), and after a while I noticed how quiet it was. There aren’t a lot of cars on the road. And it is pretty dim out there: more residences are dark than not (likely because they’re out partying at some overpriced club downtown, and they arrived there via SUV and as we speak they’re wearing fur and talking about how the cabin they’re building is made from old growth trees that they had selectively logged, but just allow me my happy thoughts, okay?).
And I’m sitting here, in the glowing candlelight, listening to some good music (I just couldn’t bear to turn my speakers off and to compensate I’ve turned off my HEAT even though it has been snowing all damn day), drinking some wine that I shouldn’t be drinking because I have to run 34 kilometres tomorrow and I’m thinking: this is nice. It’s a nice, mellow respite and I’m enjoying it. I bet a lot of people are getting it on right now, because what the hell else is there to do?
There’s Sudoku. There’s always Sudoku…

No comments: