"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Friday, June 27, 2008

I'm not coming home!

Kidding: I have to go home to give my two weeks notice at work and pack up some shit before coming back to live here forever. Kidding again. Sort of.
I cannot believe how fast this week went. I've got scads of great pictures which I'll post when I get back home. The weather has been awesome, I've been sleeping and eating well and I've gone for two runs, two kayak rides and got in some yoga (while enjoying the ocean breeze) this morning.
The first thing I did when I arrived at Lasqueti was to help my dad chase a deer that had snuck into his fenced area. So all that marathon training really paid off... The next day I helped him clean the chimney and watched as he did some soldering. Then I got to spray ether into the smokestack of the backhoe while he tried to get it going again. That was entertaining. Then we dumped some logs at a mill so they can be made into boards and I got to play with a border collie who was intent on herding my dad's dumptruck. In between all this exciting activity I lay in the sun a lot, finished Margaret Atwood's "Life Before Man", kayaked out to the Finnerties, drank a lot, ate a lot, bumped into a friend of my dad that hadn't seen me since I was a kid, had dinner with my dad at the restaurant, watered a lot of plants, and started writing a book. So it's all been good.
The wildlife here is amazing like usual. The ravens are exceptionally raucous this year and sound like little girls shrieking. Not exactly soothing. I also saw a falcon which is pretty rare. Disturbed a bunch of sunning seals last night and because they're so curious they followed our progress for a while, popping their head out of the water to exhale loudly which, as usual, scares the shit out of me. Saw a couple of deer, a raccoon, scores of eagles and a water snake.
Hm. I really, really don't want to leave. I am so totally relaxed. The other day I followed a honeybee for a while as he was collecting pollen. I'm that zen right now.
Well, I should head on back I suppose. Sigh. I love it here. Such a nice existence.
Peace out, kids. Will post a bunch of pics on Sunday.
See you tomorrow, supermummy!

No comments: