"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Word of the day

The word of the day is "vicinity". You know, there have been some words that have come up on the word of the day site that I admit I didn't know what they meant or perhaps I had slightly misunderstood. But vicinity? Let's use it in a sentence.
"Well," Duder exuded, reclining back in her chair and imbibing some Californian Zinfadel, "allow me to posit that the reason the world is in the state it's in is because a segment of our populace lacks comprehension of such words as 'vicinity'. That, and our perpetual penchant for bottled water and reality t.v.," she continued. "This trifecta is clearly the true 'Axis of Evil'."

No comments: