"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Quiet

I'm at Michael's. He got up at 8:30ish to go for a bike ride with some people from our running club. I was invited as well, but lamented that I didn't have a bike, therefore could not join them. Apparently J has a spare bike and was willing to lend it to me (encouraging me by saying "it's light") and I pretty much had to admit that I just really wanted to sleep in today. And sleep I did. I got out of bed at 11:30. Michael has a realllllly comfy bed with a pillow top. Not to be confused with a muffin top.
Looks like a brilliant day out there. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, the day that Michael and I have set aside to run the two bridges. Stupid global warming. Oh! Speaking of stupid: I've watched a lot of television since last night (I don't have cable at home). Holy shit am I happy I don't have cable at home. I am very, very convinced that watching television is bad for you. No one should watch t.v. Ever.
Spent an inordinate amount of time reading Overboard's blog. I am simply addicted to it. The thing that really struck me today is how women (myself included) are just really wanting to be in love and to be loved to the point that they overlook several warning signs and don't heed sound advice from their friends, end up in ridiculous positions, manage to extricate themselves from said positions, look back on the tumultuous relationship somewhat sadly because they're still half in love with that person, and then beat themselves up for having been stupid and are embarrassed to admit to having done such dumb things. And I thought I was the only one!! And maybe we are stupid because we're naive and hopeful and want good, happy, romantic things and perhaps that's idealistic (and leads to lots of pain), but I think it's better than being a lying scumbag loser whose transgressions will ultimately catch up to him and will die alone because he's emotionally and intellectually stunted.
I should go. My hair is sticking up everywhere and I don't have a hat with me. I hope to make the nine blocks up the hill without the Queen of England seeing me.

No comments: