"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Monday, June 16, 2008

It's raining in Baltimore

Raise your hand if you think I lead such a frenetic life because I want to:
  • avoid being by myself
  • put off the trip to Europe that I've been wanting to do for months, which I know I will start out as three months but will end up with me at some bank, lobbying for someone to send me more money so I can extend it for another nine months
  • claim that I'm too busy to write a book
  • pretend that my life is meaningful
  • work myself into a state of exhaustion so that I don't have to think about things

Kiddies: avoidance is key. Overload your social schedule. Take up marathon training (that's a tremendous time commitment). Blog as though you have ADD. Do I have ADD? I think I might have ADD. Read until you are so blind that you can't read the menu at Tim Hortons unless you're standing within ten feet of it. Rent movies - even shitty, garbage ones - and watch them endlessly and then critique how bad they are, while creating no alternative, creative offering of your own. Work on getting your British Citizenship. Don't you need to wash your windows? Clean your balcony? Sleep fitfully. I'm not sure what that accomplishes, but it seems like something you ought to do. I'm such a fucking, scared loser.

No comments: