"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hells, yeah!

I think I will start with this and just get it (the formality that it is) out of the way. Get your own blog. For those of you that have just clued in that I'm going to start talking about all things running at this junction: here's a gold star for you.
So I haven't run since the marathon a week and a half ago because after running 26 miles, one is surprisingly tired. Today was the day. I was nervous. I was wrought with trepidation. The last time I tried to run after a marathon I ended up in a sports clinic being told that the furthest that I was allowed to run was 8 kilometres.
I start out and it's muggier than I had thought and, true to form, I was overdressed. But I had my shuffle with all my kick ass marathon music and I thought, let's just do this. Started to push it a bit and then decided I wasn't in it to win it and to just take it easy. Then the sun came out. It was raining and shitty all day and the sun comes streaming out for my first run since the marathon. Brilliant. I ran past all the spring flowers, over sidewalks laden with cherry blossoms, enraptured with the view of the downtown skyline. I grinded my way up Keith, got home, looked at my watch and... bam! Had my PB for that 10.4km route and I didn't even think I had pushed it.
I also think this should expedite the departure of my two suspect toenails (which is a good thing).
Today is awesome.

No comments: