"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Idiots

I was convinced my apartment was on fire until about two minutes ago. I started noticing a burning smell and at first attributed it to the lingering burnt smell from my grilled cheese sandwich. Twasn't. So I thought maybe I left my straightening iron on. Nope. Perhaps the wick on the candle that I had lit was too long and was smoking. No. The motor of my fridge was overheating. My dishwasher (though currently in the rinse cycle) was... somehow... something. I popped out into the hallway to see if there was smoke in the halls. I started waiting for alarm bells to go off and felt thankful that I have apartment insurance.
It's the people below me: they're barbequing.
Like, who barbeques on a Saturday night in the summer anyways?
Jesus.
To quote my aged neighbour that lives on the 7th floor, "I think I'm going to go have a big glass of wine".
Fuckin' rights.

No comments: