"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Thursday, May 15, 2008

You can look...

Went for coffee with A today and somehow the topic of touching came up. Our convo went something like this:
Duder: "I pretty much prefer not to be touched."
A: "What? Are you serious?"
Duder: "Yeah. I don't like to be touched much."
A: "Like ever?"
Duder: "Do I strike you as person that likes to be touched? When you look at me does it appear that I encourage physical contact?"
A: "No... but what about your friends?"
Duder: "They know me. I've started hugging them recently though, I'm trying to get better. Sometimes they warn me that they're going to hug me so that I can brace myself."
A: "You're weird."
Duder: "Have you met me?"
A: "What about your family? Your parents didn't hug you a lot as a kid?"
Duder: "Not really."
A: "What, is your dad British or something?"
Duder: "Um, yeah. My dad's from England."
A: "Oh! That explains everything. It all makes sense now!"
Duder: "Okay."
Then we re-enter the office at which point we bump into C and the Robot Liberator who are just heading out for coffee. The Robot Liberator gives me a friendly punch on the shoulder and I stagger two steps sideways.
A: "Oh! Don't do that! We just had a conversation about how she can't stand to be touched."
C, reaching over and squeezing my shoulder: "So you don't like it when I do this, then?"
Robot Liberator, laughing and giving me another gentle tap: "Look at her, she can hardly stand it!"
At this point the CFO hears the commotion, comes out of his office and says, "What are you doing to her?" to which they respond, "We're touching her!".
CFO: "Stop touching her!"
I then went back to my office and gave them all a bear hug via Skype.
Look, I'm taking the intimacy issues one step at a time, alright?

No comments: