"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sangiovese is kind of odd

My life is now reminiscent of "The Truman Show". I couldn't miss my bus if I tried and the driver seems overjoyed to see me. I have coworkers popping into my office all day to chat, cheques are coming in from customers that I've hardly even harangued, everything that my boss asked me for was at my fingertips so I looked like a superstar. All my (out of town) friends are emailing and making arrangements to get together over the summer, and here is a snippet of the email from the woman that is hosting our book club in White Rock on Saturday: "The menu is light and lively with lots of seafood and slightly peppery- suiting white wines or light reds. All food and bevs are provided in honour of you allowing me to show off my culinary skill...I will push modesty aside and tell you that I am a legendary cook, also, I really do have a full water-front view of the ocean". So, you know, Saturday's gonna suck...
Really. My biggest complaint was that I had to work overtime (I was on the clock until 4:15!). Then I was a bit perturbed at the level of force I had to exert to change the settings on the stair climber (in my gym on the 3rd floor that I have entirely to myself 90% of the time with stunning views of the mountains). After finishing off the pad thai and watching the rest of "Yes" (I recommend: not great, but definitely good and interesting and unique) and planning two trips with Michael, I was disconcerted to find that the Sangiovese I'm sampling tonight isn't as nice as last night's Cabernet Sauvignon (it's rapidly growing on me - surprisingly fruity, black licorice). Okay, I was kind of cheesed that in "Yes" they used some bastardized version of a Buena Vista Social Club song; I mean, she was in Cuba, let's go with the real deal. And when I came home my downstairs neighbours were having a barbeque on their balcony so, you know, I could hear them and it was making me hungry. They moved inside within half an hour.
Like, really. I should try and jump off my balcony to discover a dump truck filled with feather pillows parked below.
Anyone want to come over and rub my belly?
I love it.
I. Love. It.

No comments: