"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Sunday, May 4, 2008

My knees failed me

My watch says 3:43:51 so.... yeah. I didn't re-qualify for Boston. Michael ran a blistering 3:23, but was also a bit shy of Boston. So we are Bostonless. Wah.
The flip side: what a well run course, what an amazing group of spectators, and I was so happy to see N and Skyhammer on the course, and to meet up with Big D and my mom for lunch afterwards.
Not sure why I didn't do as well as I'd hoped (I even thought I could get a 3:35). It could be that I've been sick the last week and half, or the knee pain, but more likely it boils down to me not trying hard enough. I may have been subconsciously resting on my laurels today because I qualified for Boston in October.
I'm glad I did it and I'm goddamn glad it's over. Michael has one or two more chances to qualify this year, so we'll see how he does, but damn I can't imagine having to run a 3:20.
I forgot how hard it is to run 26.2 miles. It's like, really far.
Congratulations to all the participants running Vancouver today! Thanks to everyone that came out to cheer us on (I was almost reduced to tears by the enthusiasm and mass of people just before the Burrard Street bridge). The volunteers did a tremendous job and they all were so encouraging and had smiles on their faces: huge accolades to them.
Can't wait for the photos. Flashed a victory "V" to a photog in the West End when I was feeling pretty strong. Started crying when I crossed the finish line (it's a marathon habit of mine, it would appear).
Alright. So I've been up since 5am and I'm going to have a nap!

No comments: