"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Statistics Canada

I greatly enjoyed the email I just received from StatsCan, thanking me for completing a tech industry survey about our software and our financials (it took me about 2 hours). The survey was mandatory, so why are they thanking me? They're thanking me for doing something I (or the company, rather) would have been penalized for if I had not done it.
It's like when ICBC calls me from time to time to see how I'm doing. What does it matter? If I told them I was still in pain (which, thankfully, I'm not) they would say, "that sounds frustrating" which is what they told me when I was in pain.
So basically? Don't thank me for stuff you're forcing me to do, and don't ask how I'm doing if you're not ready to help me out when I say I'm not doing well.
Fucking government.

No comments: