"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hey look: I'm still mad!

The religion in politics issue is one that I must admit I will never understand. If I were Jewish or Muslim or Taoist and I lived in the US where they invoked god's name in speeches and the concept of Christianity was prevalent throughout the ranks of government, I would be pretty upset. I have no idea what religion Chretien was, or Paul Martin and I don't want to know because it's a personal choice, the tenets of which are not applicable, nor should not be subscribed, to all.
Take my favourite man, George Bush who is a "born again" Christian (whatever the hell that is... oh no wait, I know what it is: it's the thing you say you are so you get the right wing Christian voters to vote for you) and who espouses all things godlike. If it's okay to have a loudly Christian president, and if it's okay to allow that Christianity to prevail throughout the government, then everyone should be okay when the next president is Muslim, right? Oh, that's not right? Only certain religions are alright? And this would be based on....?
It is so totally irrational that I can't understand it. But then religion is irrational. I mean, there are people who really believe that their religion is the one true religion. Um, if we all think that our religion is the one true religion, doesn't that make us all right? Or wrong? Or stupid?
And what is religion? It's a bunch of fairy tales and some suggested pointers for living a good life, all of which is wildly open to interpretation. And the Americans allow this to filter through the various levels of government and affect their decision making process and is a cue for how their citizens should act.
Rad.
I am such an atheist.

No comments: