"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Friday, May 9, 2008

What is the statistical probability that we would sample another wine that tastes like meat?

Well, we may have to get the binomial distribution (and possibly a scatter chart) from Po, but it seems the probability was high. Welcome to wine club!
Wine club started early. It started with a phone call whereby it was inferred that the wine club members (the sleek and elite group that they are) were perilously close to my apartment, even though I wasn't quite ready. I believe my words were, "I'm totally not ready yet". But, because I subscribe to the theory that one does not have to spend a lot of time, money or effort on one's appearance, I was presentable within 15 minutes. The term "presentable" is open to interpretation. Let's just say that I was clean, and for the most part I smelled alright.
Then came the wine. So, the first white was good. We sipped and chatted. Big D showed up and sampled his Coke Zero and managed to choke on almost every food product I had on the table. I should review my insurance policy.
The second bottle of wine was... wow. The notes from tonight's tasting read: "smells like meat"; "do not choose rational"; and "wine tastes like bacon". N thought it tasted like mushrooms. I figured that bacon and mushrooms together would make a good omelet and Big D declared it was, therefore, a breakfast wine. Amen. Oh, and the term "do not choose rational" comes from the label which indicates that the wine is made through "rational wine making". So... okay.
The two reds were good. My Chianti didn't do as well as I had hoped. Ah, nothing could compare to Skyhammer's vintage 2001 French wine which was excellent.
Fun times. Oh, speaking of fun, we did get into the relatively unknown and little explored field of "funodynamics". I learned (because wine club is about learning - even though heretofore I thought it was about animated gesticulating and the wind up green duck) that "you cannot create or destroy fun, you can only change it from one form to another". Also, "fun can be defined by the sum of its fun parts". I love fun parts. Po tried to explain to me about static and kinetic fun, but I wasn't able to fully comprehend the concept. Perhaps I had had too much meat wine.
Opening the last bottle of wine was fun. I was repeatedly told I wasn't screwing correctly, that I was screwing the wrong way, that I needed to screw it more and then I finished it off by hand. I have no idea why my fellow wine club members felt that I was incapable of successfully and suavely opening a bottle of wine. No idea where their rationale came from.
Thanks to everyone for coming out. Congrats to Po on her test site; to Big D for losing THIRTEEN POUNDS!; to N for creating a blog and starting to write; and to Skyhammer for deciding to forge ahead on his own website. What a group of interesting, dynamic, fantastic, fun and diverse people. I can't believe I have friends like this. I joke a lot, cause it's what I do, but I think they know how great I think are.
I would drink a bottle of meat wine with you any night.
La chaim.

No comments: