"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Count the cliches!

Sometimes things happen to me at the oddest times. It’s the whole “when god closes a door, he opens a window” kind of thing, except I don’t believe in god. So it’s more “when kismet closes a door, a window is opened”. Except it wasn’t a window, it was an elevator door. Let’s revise again: “when kismet closes a door, an elevator door is opened”, though the door wasn’t necessarily “opened” but rather held open for me.
I just had to laugh. The timing was impeccable. I was dejected, bewildered, and forlorn with a nice touch of hopelessness on top and this random occurrence of exuberance shook me out of it. We (I?) often can’t see the forest for the trees. Yes, this is possibly the most clichéd blog ever, but it’s true.
The other thing that was interesting about this whole interaction was the effort that was made. I often think and talk about striking up conversations with strangers, but rarely do I have the balls. I’m afraid of being thought of as weird or – the biggest fear of all – being rejected. I have high school to thank for that. I guess I am appreciative then of the effort that was exerted that helped me get out of my self-absorbed and useless reverie. And just like you can see the effects of road rage spread like a contagion through traffic as negative energy spins off and begets further negative energy, so did this unexpected bit of pleasantness brighten my otherwise emotionally roiling morning.

No comments: