"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Skytrain economics

I love economics. Specifically, I love the micro economics surrounding the businesses on the Granville Skytrain line. See, they’re hurting. Rather badly. Take 5 Café, which is at the base of my building: they are now offering $2 lattes every day. Even I can afford that, and I’m impoverished. $2 lattes make me happy. There was also a huge sale at Sears today (not sure whether this is a result of the diminished foot traffic due to construction), but I made out like a bandit. I now have stylish clothes that fit me. Usually it’s one or the other. I have this weird penchant for buying clothes that are too big for me. I used to be chubby and so when I try on clothes and I can do up the buttons on a size 6 pant I buy it. It rarely occurs to me to try a size 4, or in today’s instance a size 2. This is why my pants sometimes start to fall down when I run. It makes for awkward situations. And I can’t carry my keys or too much change in my pockets, because that’s just a recipe for disaster.
That’s about it. Just enjoying my $2 latte. Will have time to have a quick bite to eat before meeting with my realtor at 6pm. May have time for a quick run, but I doubt it. Grabbed a latte with a coworker who was saying that his Friday is going to be corny because him and his girlfriend are going to play board games with other couples. Okay, to me that’s kind of an ideal Friday night; I guess it wasn’t when I was 26 and I forgive him that, but he makes me feel old sometimes. I didn’t tell him that I was secretly envious of his upcoming corny night. It’s okay. I’ll have fun with a bottle of wine and some Solitaire. No really, it’s good. I’ll get all dressed up in my new cool clothes and, you know, maybe have tea with my stuffed rabbit or something.
I’m kidding. I kid because I love. And because I’m full of latte.

No comments: