"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Friday, January 4, 2008

I'm 31...!?

Our book club now consists of six women and one man (what a lucky bastard). I have tried – and failed – to recruit any/all of my male friends. C did seem interested in the possibility of a ‘UFC Club’; though this does not help me, nor does it help the female to male ratio of the book club.
Then I had a heated debate about the Oxford comma and the possessive apostrophe with three of my coworkers. The use of a white board was needed and several examples were given. I was chastised for having not yet read “Eats Shoots and Leaves”, which I received for my 30th birthday.
So yeah. If, at age 22, I had been granted a glimpse into what my life would be like at 31 I think I would’ve been quite shaken. Book clubs. Punctuation and grammar arguments. Sudoku. Running marathons. Oh my god I think I’m having a mid-life crisis.
Please don’t call me tonight: I shall be stopping off at Raglan’s to pick up a Capilano College horticultural student, that has not shaved in three days, is wearing cargo pants and who cannot spell ‘definitely’ correctly. We are going to drink cheap red wine, smoke pot, play truth or dare, and he will gather his clothes and creep out the door at 3am on Saturday morning.
I just hope I’m fully recovered for my 19 kilometre run this Sunday.

No comments: