"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Vulva

Had dinner with Po before heading over to N's for our second book club meeting (resplendent with two new members!). She said coyly, "So your blog has been quite enthusiastic lately". I think 'enthusiastic' was the word she used. Maybe she used 'shite'. I don't quite remember. I said, "Enthusiastic?". And she nodded and I said, "I guess I'm enthusiastic then". And I said it with vigor. She said she hadn't read it in a couple of days, so I don't think she got to the park where I felt the need to quit my job and do some soul searching in a foreign country for an indeterminate amount of time. It really does change daily with me...
Then we went to the book club and we discussed Joan Didion's "Play It As It Lays" and came to the agreement that no, it wasn't the most uplifting book ever written, and perhaps the characters weren't necessarily likable but... something. The book made me think, it was atypical of the books I normally read and I ended up reading it twice and I definitely looked forward to discussing it with my fellow book club mates. One of whom managed to get a Star Trek reference in there somehow. And then another person was leafing through our book club diary and said, "Why does it say vulva in here?". Why indeed? If you can't say vulva at your book club, then where the hell can you say it? A rating system for the books read was proposed and Skyhammer, our token male, discerned the book was worth two vulvas and a clitoris. Did I mention that we partake of wine at our book club meetings?
The next one is at my place. We will being reviewing "The Eyre Affair". When it was first proposed I thought it was "The Air Affair" and was quite intrigued, but then thought no, that can't be right. I reckoned it was more likely "The Heir Affair", a story about two spoiled siblings fighting over their deceased parents estate, but evidently that was wrong too.
Fielding a lot of questions about the relationship situation with Michael. Some grumblings about my overall vagueness regarding our current situation on my blog. I will admit this: we've reached the hand holding stage. Placated?
Ah.
Vulva!

No comments: