"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Sunday, January 6, 2008

I'm a marathoner!

I've been dreading today. Today was my first Sunday run with my running group (yes, they have been in session since November, but I like my sleep) and we were scheduled to run 19k. I've been dreading it because: a) I ate, drank and slept too much over Christmas; b) the longest run I had done before today was 11k; c) I have been really apprehensive about my knee. I must say, though, that the gym in my building has been a blessing and since I've moved in I hit it once a week to strengthen my quads.
So today. I ran the 19k in 1:40. Yeah, I felt like shit and I twisted my ankle in pothole and it started to snow and the last leg of the run involved running up Keith Road which kicked the shit out of me, but I did it. I went for coffee with Michael afterwards (we finished at the same time, surprisingly) and we both lamented at how out of shape we were and then it dawned on me... that we're kind of not. My PB for a half marathon (21.1k) was 1:46 - that's at race pace. Today I dogged it a little and pulled 19k out of my ass in 1:40. And (thank you, running gods) no knee pain.
I've been feeling pretty nonathletic as of late, perhaps being more tentative with my knee than I needed to be, and starting to wonder if I was a bit of a one-hit wonder in the marathon department. But today I feel great. I'm glad to be back into it. I'm happy to have banged of 19k before lunch with no knee pain and I'm looking forward to re-qualifying for Boston when I run Vancouver in May.
I'm still going to have a nap later on this afternoon, though.

No comments: