"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Sunday, January 20, 2008

You know what's fun to do at 6:30 on Sunday mornings?

Sleep! Sleep is what is fun to do at 6:30 on Sunday mornings. Scratch that: sleep is fun to do at 6:30 regardless of what day of the week it is! I don't even get up at 6:30 during the week. But we got up and we drove to the Nike Runners Lounge in Coal Harbour where I was introduced to a whole new level of pain. I think I've mentioned this before, but the running clinic that I have joined is fast... and the concept of "tens and ones" (run for ten minutes and walk for one) is foreign to them. We ran from Coal Harbour along the seawall, past Science World and almost to Granville Island, and then back again. Fast. Even though I had to slow down during the last couple of kilometres because I had, oh, say "overdone it", I still put in 20k in 1:40. Sundays are supposed to be LSD - long slow days - but I was keeping pace with Michael, the Ironman I had run with two weeks ago, and a woman that runs a 3:18 marathon. Like, why? No messing around with these guys.
Then Michael and I went for coffee at Bojangles (I love that place) and I was so beat and stiff that I had to make two attempts to get up out of my chair to leave. And we both limped a little on the way back to the car. And I got to pet a puppy! I love puppies: the way they wriggle around when they're so excited is funny. I was one wriggle and hand lick away from stealing him (or possibly her). I was absurdly struck by the puppy's innocence and overall friendliness to strangers. I mean, I know puppies are happy creatures and they'll love and piddle on whoever will feed and pat them, but its exuberance was unexpectedly refreshing and it made me smile.
I was amazed that we were back in North Van before noon. And not entirely surprised that I fell asleep on my couch shortly thereafter. Finished "The End of the Affair" and though I enjoyed the first three quarters of it, I think I will have to remove it from my "Books are for reading" list. Too many references to God and hating God and loving God and not believing in God and believing in God and making promises to God and wanting to break the promises made to God for my taste.
I would do risque things for a decent massage right about now.
Ibuprofen it is...

No comments: