"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Monday, January 21, 2008

I'm hungry


Sitting here at my bar, blogging, waiting for my chicken to broil. Go, chicken, go! This was the view from my balcony when I got home. Not too shabby!
Today was great. Nothing really happened per se, but I did buy a hat. I know this seems small and trivial, but when you have as tiny a cranium as I do (Michael refers to it as my "pea head") it is difficult to buy hats. I tried some on at Sears today, and the overall effect was similar to a toddler putting a pot on his head: absolutely ridiculous looking, but kind of amusing. So as I trudged, defeated, from the mall I happened to peer into Laura Petite's and, because I'm one smart cookie, I thought hmmm, I bet small people also have small heads. And they do! I found a hat that fit, but the coup de grace is that the hat can be tightened (say when I'm feeling particularly stupid and empty-headed). Alternatively it can be loosened (say when my brain is swelling if and when I ever get to the medium level sudoku games).
And I felt particularly happy as I strolled down the walk way to the seabus and gazed out at the water and the train tracks and the heritage buildings of East Vancouver and was just again reminded of what an absolutely beautiful city we live in, and all the while a cute busker was strumming away and I gave him a smile and the rough and tumble construction worker that was walking in front of me stopped and gave him some change.

No comments: