"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

BEEP!

The thing about digital watches is that, first of all, they’re ugly. I do not like, nor have I ever liked digital watches. I don’t think that until today I’ve ever owned one. Now I have a Timex Ironman type deal and I can’t figure out how the timer works. It counts to one second and then starts emitting shrill beeps. This is going to be a trying marathon. Oh well, I have a five hour car ride up to Penticton on Friday night. I’m sure Michael won’t mind the incessant chirping as I try and master the watch on the way up. Yeah right: expect a phone call from me Friday night saying I’ve been kicked out of my own car at Manning Park and could you please come get me.
I’ve been running three years without a watch. My rationale is this: if I’m running as fast as I feel I can, what difference does it make if I have a watch on? If anything it will stress me out as try to calculate the per kilometer speed I would need to accomplish on the last two kilometers of some run in order to get a sub-50 10k. That’s just plain competitive. I’m a lazy athlete. Why stress out about it? I’m already worried about the weather, getting hungry, being inappropriately dressed, blisters and being led astray by rogue, roving wineries. Now this. The beeping. I’m going to be one of the hordes that set their watches when the gun goes off. BEEP!
And what the hell does CHRONO mean? Can I program it so beep and display “Nap time, Duder!”. That would be good. Especially if it did that after one second.

No comments: