"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Monday, October 29, 2007

Mortgage me

Going ahead with the condo. I will be moving in in mid-November. It was a bit bizarre showing up for the home inspection today. By the way: I want to be a home inspector. What the hell do these guys actually do? I can turn taps on and off. I can check if the elements on the oven work. I can locate the breaker panel. Why do I have to pay someone $300 to do this? When I arrived this little old lady appeared to be leaving "my" condo and she said something like, "are you the new owner" to which I said something like "what are you, some kind of hobbit?". No wait... that's what went through my head. Instead I said "maybe, providing this place isn't leaking like a sieve". Then she mumbled a few things and I looked at her, perplexed, and left her knitting a tea cozy in the hallway. Chatted with the home inspector, my realtor and the selling realtor (mental note: three people in the apartment is a lot, make sure to encourage guests to use the gigantic balcony often) and then there's a knock on the door. The question is: whose door is it? It is my door? Am I supposed to answer it? I did. It was the VP of the strata council. Him and his wife wanted to "see the renovations" that were done. And apparently the lady that I bumped into earlier was the wife of the president of the council. Nice to know everyone has been traipsing through my place to see what's what! They were probably all gossipping about the "young whippersnapper" that might be buying the suite while being distracted by the gleam of the stainless steel appliances. But I played nice and pretended to be a straight laced, upstanding citizen that they would love for their grandson to marry. It was really hard. I bet I was the only one of the group that would use the mirrored closet doors in the bedroom for anything other than checking out my ensemble... I digress.
So that's where I'm at. It'll likely sink in on moving day. And then it will hit me, when I'm all unpacked in my shiny new apartment: I'm no longer one of the creme de la creme. I have to build up a new repoire with the one hot guy at the Central Lonsdale Rogers. I'll have to say good morning to a new bus driver. On the flip side? I have an elevator and a dishwasher. Water has yet to spout from the light fixture in the new kitchen (touch wood). I have two thermostats. Not one, but two.

No comments: