"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ode to brunch in Kits

The drizzled downpour does nothing to diminish the shining gold curls of the shiny girls,
some of whom are wearing highheels,
My current level of dress does not fit in: it is not Lululemon, nor is it Holt Renfrew.
The third category is: what one was wearing the previous night.
Over the din and clatter of the restaurant I strain to hear my friend.
The braying of the woman next to me grates on my nerves.
Likely her date failed to pick up on this last night, and now he has to entertain her for brunch,
while mulling over excuses as to why he can't see her again.
He's still in love with his ex. He's really busy with work. He's not ready for a relationship.
They leave. She looks smitten. I continue to enjoy my fruit and english muffin.

No comments: