"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Monday, October 22, 2007

My eldest (couch) has left the nest

Today at work I received the Year End preparation package from our payroll provider. I was like, "What the eff is this?". Year end? T4s? Can it possibly be that time again? Wasn't I just looking forward to summer a couple of days ago? Holy crap. Which means Christmas is on its way. And my birthday. Sweet. I don't just have a birthday I have a birthday week. Oh, I know how to milk it. And don't even try the Christmas/birthday gift combo: I will rip you a new one.
My dad and brother came to pick up my old couch today. Apparently the living room in my brother's new house is so big that he can easily fit two couches in there. Whatever, mom. Not everyone wants to live at the furthest reaches of Abbotsford. And, up until this evening, I was able to fit two couches in my living room too. It just made yoga and pilates a little tight.
It was kind of weird: my dad coming out and moving this huge couch and taking my apartment door (which weighs a ton) off its hinges at 62 years old. I felt bad. I mean, he's 62. He should be enjoying the paper and sipping a scotch in front of a fire or something, instead of sweltering up and down the stairs of my apartment complex in which they've recently ratcheted the heat up to near unbearable levels. And then I start to panic about my dad's age. How long is going to be able to do all the things that he does for me and with me? How many more kayaks and bike rides and long walks do I have with him? Though I can't say I'll miss some of the things that we've done together, namely putting me in the back of an unlicensed pickup truck to try and steady a 300 pound wood burning stove contraption as we fly down the unpaved, gravel road at hair raising speeds to make the 1 o'clock Lasqueti ferry. I tried to explain the reason that my presence in the back of the truck was unnecessary: the stove weighed close to three times my weight, so if it wanted to fly over the side of the truck there would be relatively little that I could do to change its mind. Yeah, that was a fun day.
And then the three of us hung out and chatted for a bit, which was cool because I rarely see either of them and, combined, they've both been in my apartment less than a dozen times.
My mom gave them some bags of "stuff" to bring to me, so I was happy to see that she had returned some of my favourite books (so that I might lend them to other interested parties - anyone want to read "High Fidelity" or sign one of my yearbooks?). Plus, she gave me games! I now have Trivial Pursuit, Boggle and... wait for it... Battleships! I love Battleships. It would have been more fun to play on opposite couches, but I guess I can't have it all.
Ah. My new couch looks so great under the nice batik painting that Michael's sister did. That I was supposed to return during the Great Division of Assets in 2006. Yeah, he's totally not getting it back.
Or maybe we can play Battleships for it.
I feel kind of lonely now. Perhaps it's because my living room, once rife with the youthful exuberance of unbridled couches has since been quelled. My brother said that I would be allowed to sit on it if I came to his house. But then he tells me to sit on it a lot...

No comments: